Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Laura Phillips: How can an 'out of classroom' learning environment develop children's scientific and innovative skills?

Initial Ideas and Planning

In order to complete this task, I set out on my own journey, with help of a camera man. Initially, I got to grips with the assignment question, and began a spider diagram of all the different out of classroom learning environments that were available locally, such as the local and plentiful beaches, Gower forest school, the Dylan Thomas Centre and the Waterfront Museum. The final decision was Plantasia due to personal interest, the topic of Sustainability and the diversity of life created room for creativity and exploration.



Research

Before beginning any recording, I visited Plantasia (with a notebook) and noted down all the aspects that captivated and engaged me the most. Also, I spoke with the Education Officer about the educational opportunities Plantasia had to offer, and got to grips with how the aspects and embedment of the KS1/2 curriculum were plentiful in this environment. Furthermore, I witnessed a scientific experiment and made explicit notes and was sure to include this within my podcast. In addition, I started to formulate a structure that I would base my argument upon.


In addition, I began to gather my notes from our seminar class and get to grips with them. Whilst visiting the library at Townhill, I investigated some radical underlying themes and influences that would support my pod-cast.


Filming and Production

Upon my second visit to Plantasia, I began filming using my I-phone, in, and a helpful camera man. I began to investigate the area and get involved with any activities that were taking place such as ‘A hawk Talk (which I couldn’t capture, with regret) and also ‘The Trail Walk’ which I included. I did my best to get creative and capture many interesting scenes. Once I had gathered adequate footage, and was happy with the takes, I used I-Movie to edit and produce my Podcast. 

Key points/ issues and scientific elements

Upon filming the podcast I intended;

  •  To display the context, ethos and purpose of Plantasia
  • Educational opportunities, (scientific experiments, animal tours, innovative activities: art and poetry)
  • Express involvement and give examples of engagement (‘The Trail Hunt’
  • The benefits of outdoor learning and the developmental aspects compared to the indoor classroom. (Kinaesthetic and visual learning)
  • Concept of sustainability, observation, investigation and show how the assimilation of the environment stresses this
  • Provide underlying radical influences such as Montessori, Steiner, and Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Cover a variety of issues -Weather, climate, habitats and tribes and show how effective valuable resources (such as The Rainforest Hut) is at delivering educational programmes.
  •         Give an informative introduction, and a useful conclusion
(450 words excluding references)





References to support points



 Council for learning Outside the Classroom (2009) Benefits of Early Years Learning Outside the Classroom. Available at http://www.lotc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Benefits-for-Early-Years-LOtC-Final-5AUG09.pdf (Accessed 17th February 2015)


Institute for Outdoor Learning (2014) What are the benefits of Outdoor Learning. Available at: http://www.outdoor-learning.org/Default.aspx?tabid=213 (Accessed 16th February 2015)

Montessori, M (2010) Montessori Approach to Assessment and Learning. Available at: http://www.barrenjoeymontessori.com.au/downloads/MAF-Montessori-approach-to-assessment-and-reporting.pdf (Accessed 17th February 2015)

Mooney, C, G (2000) Theories of Childhood: an introduction to Dewey, Montessorri, Erikson, Piaget and Vygotsky. Redleaf Press: St. Paul

Obe, W. H., Qualter, A. and Harlen, W. (2009) The Teaching of Science in Primary Schools. 5th edn. United Kingdom: David Fulton Publishers Ltd.

Plantasia (2014) Climate Zones. Available at, http://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/2167/Climate-Zones (Accessed 16th February 2015)

 Plantasia (2014) The Rainforest Hut. Available at: http://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/2160/Rainforest-Hut (Accessed 16th February 2015)

Sanderson Beck (1996) Emersons Philosophy of Education. Available at: http://www.san.beck.org/Emerson.html (Accessed 19th January)

Steiner, R (2011) The Outline of Occult Science. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.

The Guardian (2012) Outdoor Learning is in a Class of its own. Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2012/dec/04/outdoor-learning-school-activities (Accessed 16th February 2015)



Welsh Government (2014) Education for Sustainable Development. Available at: http://wales.gov.uk/topics/educationandskills/allsectorpolicies/europeanandinternational/sustainabledevelop/?lang=en (Accessed 19th January)

No comments:

Post a Comment